Wednesday, August 26, 2020

❤️ Hello/Goodbye




“Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.” 

                                                                             ― Shel Silverstein, Every Thing on It

Over 13 years ago, when I worked at a little store and dreamed of owning a shop, I bought myself a very special necklace engraved in microscopic script, “Whatever you would do, begin it. Boldness has courage, genius and magic in it.” When opportunity finally came along, I wore the talisman every day while Tom and I created Momo, from musing about the would-be mission, to painting the 17’ walls with a borrowed scaffold. After all, opening a boutique was an intrepid move for two folks with little retail experience — I needed as much pluck, brilliance and miracle making that I could muster.

 
Now I must once again don my silver touchstone, as the time has come to move on from Momo.
 
There are so many reasons beyond the challenges of this current climate. Originally, the plan was 10 years. We surpassed that mark successfully and I charged ahead, with Tom by my side, but not without his kvetching. And my folks, who a few of you have met, are growing very old and my heart yearns to sit with them in their backyard watching the birds while talking story.
 
We did what we set out to do. And it was more fulfilling than we could ever imagine. Opening a shop seems to be about designing an environment and buying cool stuff. But really, it’s about the people who support us, over and over again. And that comes from all sides — from the best landlord, to loyal staff, to talented, reliable vendors, to a community that’s got your back, to appreciative customers who become friends.
 
As for our timeframe, just like so much these days, we’re taking it as it comes, with the aim of closing completely by end of September. I’m not sure of what’s in the cards for me … I might metamorphosize as Mini Momo, you never know. If you have any insights, share them! And you’ll find Tom in our garden, working on the house, and loving retirement.

What’s regrettable is that our paths may not cross again. Oh, how we’ve enjoyed hearing of your worlds outside of Momo! We wish you long and contented lives, and that the children we’ve met grow up to be smart, healthy and joyful, and that all your wishes come true.
 
So, thank you — you made Momo the happy • lucky place it’s been for the last 13 years. Here’s to the final few Aloha Fridays, and life’s next adventure.

xo Lala & Tom
ps: Thanks to Thomas Barwick for the photo, click on it for a fun farewell song.

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I’m in DC, I’m mourning momoseattle. If you and Tom are taking a break, maybe you’ll travel east. We’ll welcome you with dinner and mucho vino. Always with love, Sandra and Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you and miss you! Thank you for reading. 💕

      Delete
  4. David and I are grateful to you guys for showing us the ropes 7 years ago when we had no idea what we were doing. Thanks for your generosity and friendship. We wish you the best in the days ahead. Warm ((HUGS)) Terri and David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri and David, thank you! Can you believe it, just reading this now in May of 2021, finally settling into the real real. Glad you folks are doing well, you especially! xo lala

      Delete
  5. I passed by yesterday and saw that the time had come for Momo. My heart sank a little, and yet I understand. I grew up in a family-run retail business. Thank you for all of the delight you brought to me whenever I stepped into your store and best wishes to you both for your next act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Karen, thank you for taking the time to write a note ... and sorry it's taken me so long to see it! Maybe I'm just now adjusting. xo lala

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sad to hear this! My husband and I both enjoyed gifting each other special things from your wonderful shop over the years. We will miss you! Best of luck in the next chapter. Love, Thomas and Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary! Thank you for your kind and heartfelt words. I'm just now revisiting the blog and reliving our closure. Your comments touch me. xo lala

      Delete
  9. I second Karen. Visiting Momo was one of my favorite parts of Christmas shopping. Thank you. Best wishes for all that comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen! I truly appreciate the sentiments, I will miss you all, too! xo lala

      Delete
  10. I am so happy to visit this blog and I love to read. Please stay upto date with your blogs, we will visit again to check our your new post.

    Event planner near me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and evidently I haven't kept up! But maybe I'll return with a different perspective, still figuring me out. Best to you! xo lala

      Delete
  11. I used to frequent your store regularly and it was a highlight of many lunchtime walks, working at King Street Center. I got transitioned to permanently working from home in 2020 along with 800 other colleagues. I had these beautiful, colorful mesh bags I bought from you that I loved. My backpack recently got stolen (ironically on 2nd & Jackson) and when I looked up your hours to visit and replace them I was so sad to see you’d closed your doors. Best of luck! Much gratitude. (And any suggestions where I can find those great bags?) Saffa

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete